Cricket WC 2011: West Indies squad Bishoo as replaced ...

Cricket WC 2011: West Indies squad Bishoo as replaced by Bravo

Tags: World Cup 2011, Netherlands v West Indies 13th Match at Delhi - Feb 28, 2011, West Indies, Ireland, Dwayne John Bravo, Devendra Bishoo

Published on: Feb 28, 2011

Scorecard | Commentary | Graphs

Legspinner Devendra Bishoo has been nominated as a replacement for injured all-rounder Dwayne Bravo in the West Indies' World Cup squad.

Legspinner Devendra Bishoo has been nominated as a replacement for injured all-rounder Dwayne Bravo in the West Indies' World Cup squad.

Bravo injured his left knee in the West Indies' seven-wicket loss to South Africa last week and has been ruled out of the remainder of the World Cup, which is being staged in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

The West Indies Cricket Board announced Bishoo's selection in a statement from Antigua last Sunday, on the eve of the West Indies' Group B match against Netherlands. The ICC technical committee needs to approve the selection.

Bishoo, a 25-year-old left-arm legbreak bowler from Guyana, played for West Indies A against Pakistan A last year, and was also player of the tournament in the 2010 Caribbean Twenty20 competition.

He has played 20 first-class matches.

To compensate for the loss of Bravo, West Indies is considering pushing big-hitting Kieron Pollard up its batting order and giving leftarm spinner Nikita Miller a start against the Dutch.

Skipper Darren Sammy said Miller, who is also a steady batsman, had a "strong case" for inclusion.

He said the West Indies needed to "maximize" the potential of explosive Indian Premier League player Pollard, who was out for a duck against the South Africans batting at No. 8.

Related News